In the last three years I have moved four times (and yes it was exhausting) and I can’t say that I knew much about moving the first time but I got better at it, over time. I put together some tips or things to remember as you start your packing adventure. Hopefully you can learn from my mistakes.
- Pack an ‘open first box’: This will be the first box you open when you move. It is the box that goes in the front seat of the car on the day of your move. Start packing this box early, and leave it open so that you can add a few things to the box as you pack. Make sure to add a pair or two scissor, paper towels, cleaning products, a change of clothes, and even some quick snacks for the day. The goal of this box is have everything you might need for that first day at your fingertips. This will avoid opening boxes looking for last minute things.
Things to consider include:
- Paper Towels
- Cleaning products
- A change of clothes
- Snack foods/ soda
- Paper plates and plastic utensils
- Garbage Bags
- Light bulbs
- Label with contents and room: It sounds simple, but often times if you just label with the contents and not which room you want it to go in you end up with movers, moving boxes into rooms based on their discretion. And regardless of what is in the boxes… a box labeled sheets… doesn’t tell anyone or even you if that box should be unpacked in bedrooms or in the linen closet.
- Place the label in the same location: If you are writing on the boxes, write things in the same spot (NOT ON TOP). If you label all boxes on the upper right hand corner, you always know where to look. Seeing a wall of boxes all clearly labeled makes it easy to see what is in each box. This also helped with reusing boxes- if you have multiple moves going on, you can easier reuse your boxes by writing on a different side or in a different location.
- Pack and forget it: Once you have your boxes packed move them to a room, or against a wall. Keep your boxes all together to make it easier to move. If everything is labeled in the same location you will soon see a wall of neatly organized boxes in one section of your house/ room. This allows you to keep living in your house without tripping over boxes and being frustrated with the chaos.
Good Luck with Packing & Moving.